Treating Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in Newark, New Jersey
If you or a loved one is struggling with the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), North Ward Behavioral Health Center in Newark, New Jersey, has specialists who can help improve your quality of life. We offer a range of compassionate PTSD treatments, including therapeutic and medication services, to support clients and teach them to manage their condition and symptoms more effectively throughout their lives.
Signs and Symptoms of PTSD
PTSD presents in varying degrees of severity, with signs and symptoms as varied as the inciting incidents and individuals who experienced or witnessed them. These include:
- Severe anxiety and depression
- Uncontrollable emotions and thoughts
- Flashbacks and/or nightmares
- Impaired functioning in daily life (i.e. ignoring responsibilities, poor hygiene, etc.)
- And more.
If you have concerning, prolonged mental health symptoms and have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event, consult with a professional right away for an accurate diagnosis and path to treatment.
Types of Counseling for PTSD
At North Ward Behavioral Health Center, we provide several types of individual counseling to aid those suffering from PTSD. The following treatments help to develop stress management skills and regain control after a traumatic event.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a proven counseling method that helps individuals identify and correct their problematic thinking, thus enabling them to overcome challenges.
- Trauma-focused therapy: This therapy type is specifically designed for PTSD and can help individuals process the event while overcoming associated depression, anxiety, and other symptoms.
- Solution-focused therapy: This therapy type helps individuals resolve current issues, set goals, and develop skills to support themselves through their symptoms.
- Grief and loss therapy: If the traumatic event involved the loss of a loved one, we can help individuals navigate the complexities of loss while they recover.
North Ward Behavioral Health Center also offers PTSD counseling in a group setting. This offers many of the same benefits, with the added advantage of involving friends and family in the recovery process. Because PTSD is so varied, different treatments may be more effective for you or your loved one. Therapy can last anywhere from six to 12 weeks depending on the specific case. Our counselors can provide more information about your treatment options and help you decide the best route for you.
Medication is also helpful in managing PTSD. Antidepressants help control symptoms like sadness, anger, and numbness, while anti-anxiety medications may offer some relief from worry, fear, and nightmares. These medications may be prescribed alone or in conjunction with other treatments.
If you choose to treat your condition through medication, North Ward Behavioral Health Center offers support through our medication management service. We’ll review your existing prescriptions to ensure your new medications will work effectively and without negative interactions. Our service also reminds you when to take your medication and in what dose, as well as lets you know when it’s time for a refill.
Begin Your Recovery Today in Newark, NJ
We understand it may be difficult to seek support for PTSD, but we’re standing by to assist you on your road to recovery when the time is right for you. To learn more about PTSD treatments at North Ward Behavioral Health Center in Newark, NJ, contact us for more information or schedule an appointment today.