Visit One of Our Locations for Your healthcare Needs
Neurological Health and Wellness Services in New Jersey
Neurology examines the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Patients in Essex County, New Jersey, with neurological concerns can find a provider to diagnose and treat their conditions from Nirvana Healthcare Management Services. Taking a preventative, multidisciplinary team approach, these physicians use their expertise and diagnostic methods to treat various neurological disorders.
Learn more about neurological health management from Nirvana’s primary care locations: Salerno Medical Associates, Metropolitan Medical Group, Roseville Medical Society, and North Ward Medical Arts. Treatments are also available at CHOP/SHOP, which provides house visits to eligible patients.
Since the nervous system impacts the entire body, neurological issues manifest differently and feature distinct symptoms. The doctors and physicians of Nirvana Healthcare Management Services have the skills to handle many ordinary and some rare disorders, such as:
- Alzheimer’s disease: Alzheimer’s is the most common form of dementia, a condition that interferes with memory and other cognitive functions. The disease worsens over time, with sufferers losing more abilities as it progresses.
- Carpal tunnel: The carpal tunnel is a narrow area on the palm surrounded by ligaments and bones. In carpal tunnel syndrome, a person experiences pressure on the median nerve.
- Diabetic neuropathy: A complication of diabetes, this condition develops when high blood sugar leads to nerve damage. It primarily occurs in the legs and feet.
- Migraine: More than a headache, migraine is a debilitating neurological condition that causes shooting pain in the head, typically on one side.
- Movement disorders: These issues can impede or increase mobility. Common movement disorders include Parkinson’s and Huntington’s diseases and Tourette syndrome.
- Multiple sclerosis (MS): This autoimmune disease damages healthy cells, which harms nerve fibers. People with MS may experience atrophy, balance problems, or vision issues.
- Restless legs syndrome: Also referred to as Willis-Ekbom disease, restless legs syndrome happens when a person feels compelled to move their legs. It is most common in the evening and nighttime.
- Sciatica: Back pain that begins with a herniated disk in the lumbar region is sciatica. When the disk deteriorates due to injury or old age, its soft center pushes out from the hard exterior and may put pressure on nearby nerves.
- Spinal cord disorders: As the name suggests, these conditions affect the spinal cord. Degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and abscess are examples of spinal cord problems.
- Seizure: Seizures happen due to uncontrolled electrical activity between neurons. A person experiences temporary changes in muscle movement and tone. Chronic seizures are called epilepsy.
- Stroke: When clots or bursts block blood vessels from transporting oxygen and nutrients to the brain, a person is having a stroke. Where this disease manifests informs how it impacts body function.
While dementia is on the rise globally, the providers at Nirvana Healthcare Management Services continue to deepen their understanding of the illness and its etiopathology (the study of its cause). Dementias stemming from degenerative and vascular pathology are the most common varieties that lead to cognitive injury. These two forms are:
- Reversible dementia: Reversible dementia is caused by multiple medical issues, including thyroid problems, vitamin B12 deficiency, depression, some medications, normal pressure hydrocephalus, and drugs that block nervous system impulses (anticholinergics). It is reversible if the doctor identifies the conditions early and shows the patient how to manage symptoms.
- Vascular dementia: This disorder occurs because other conditions diminish blood flow to the brain and limit oxygen and nutrients from getting to the brain. Typically, these conditions lead to decreased thinking abilities, permanent impairment, morbidity, and mortality.
Diagnosis and Treatment
The fully integrated providers from Nirvana Healthcare Management Services believe preventative neurological care is paramount. Intervening before acute and chronic diseases progress too far can help reduce their impact. If a disorder is incurable, doctors will educate patients on how to manage symptoms and experience a higher quality of life.
Physicians use a variety of methods to diagnose neurological conditions, many of which meet and exceed standards in quality. For example, neuro-cognitive tests check brain health in patients with memory concerns, and transcranial Doppler ultrasounds are used to measure the flow of blood vessels in the brain and assess stroke risk. Additionally, Holter monitors are available for extended assessments. These are portable, at-home devices that record the patient’s heartbeat for up to 21 days, gauging circulation and pressure in the brain and blood vessels.
Other diagnostic tools enable healthcare professionals to predict the onset of severe neurological issues, such as headaches, migraines, seizures, and pseudoseizures with psychological causes. Additionally, neurological conditions happen in people of all ages, but they are especially a concern for older patients. They are at an increased risk for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, as well as delirium. Diagnosing and treating these disorders is integral to geriatric medicine.
Healthcare Report Cards
Healthcare report cards play a pivotal role in the healthcare approach at Nirvana Healthcare Management Services. Based on United States Task Force guidelines, these report cards feature patients’ medical histories and genetic backgrounds to aid with preventative care. They are updated after each visit to ensure doctors know each patient’s changing needs.
Find a Neurologist with Nirvana Healthcare Management Services
Patients can trust the providers of Nirvana Healthcare Management Services to cater to their unique care needs. The healthcare organization comprises several locations in Newark and East Orange, NJ, including Salerno Medical Associates, Metropolitan Medical Group, Roseville Medical Society, North Ward Medical Arts, and in-home services for seniors from CHOP. Call us today to learn more about neurological health and wellness or set up an appointment with a healthcare concierge.
Salerno Medical Associates
613 Park Avenue
East Orange, NJ 07017
Metropolitan Medical Group
570 Park Avenue
East Orange, NJ 07017
Roseville Medical Society
346 Roseville Avenue
Newark, NJ 07107
North Ward Medical Arts
485-491 Mount Prospect Avenue
Newark, NJ 07104