Pulmonary Health and Wellness
Offered in East Orange and Newark, NJ
A primary care provider is your point person for your health and wellbeing, and this includes pulmonary care. Patients struggling with respiratory conditions, such as shortness of breath, can receive holistic and comprehensive care through the medical partners at Nirvana Healthcare Management Services. The fully integrated network of physicians handles diseases originating in the lower respiratory system and understands the complex relationship between the heart and lungs, taking a preventative approach to pulmonary care.
Pulmonary care focuses on illnesses occurring in the respiratory system, which includes the lungs, chest, thoracic cavity, and upper airways. Taking a multidisciplinary team approach, physicians recognize the symbiotic interrelationship of airways, muscles, and the circulatory system, and understand various conditions of the lung parenchyma and pleura. They may also know how to spot and prevent environmental and work-related causes of lung disease.
While risk assessment and prevention are a primary part of this branch of medicine, physicians have the expertise to help patients manage numerous respiratory illnesses and disorders. Common conditions include:People with asthma experience inflammation in the airways of their lungs at times, which restricts these vessels and makes it harder for air to flow when breathing out.
- Chronic cough: This type of persistent cough lasts eight weeks or more and may be accompanied by other symptoms, such as shortness of breath, wheezing, a runny nose, and heartburn. Several conditions may cause a chronic cough.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): This progressive condition diminishes airflow, making it difficult for a person to breathe and worsening over time. Most COPD sufferers have chronic bronchitis and emphysema, but the severity of these diseases will vary in each person.
- Emphysema: People with emphysema have damaged alveoli, or air sacs, in their lungs. These air sacs eventually break open and create larger air spaces that minimize the surface area of the lungs and the amount of oxygen that enters the bloodstream. As a result, people experience shortness of breath.
- Lung cancer: This disease begins in the lungs but may spread to the brain or other organs. In some cases, cancer originating from one organ spreads to the lungs. The two main varieties of lung cancer are small cell and non-small cell, and the latter is more common. The type of lung cancer will determine the course of treatment.
- Pulmonary fibrosis: This collection of lung diseases makes lung tissue hard and thick, preventing it from properly expanding. They make breathing challenging for sufferers.
- Occupational lung issues: A common work-related lung disorder is black lung, which is also known as coal workers’ pneumoconiosis. After years of exposure to coal dust, the lungs become damaged and obstruct breathing. Despite the name, it also affects those exposed to asbestos.
- Tuberculosis: This contagious illness mostly affects the lungs, but can also harm the brain, spine, and kidneys. Telltale symptoms of active tuberculosis are coughing up blood or mucus, coughing persistently for several weeks, and chest pain.
Symptoms of Pulmonary Disease
The physicians at Nirvana Healthcare Management Services recognize the importance of seamless, personalized healthcare. Various indications may suggest a person has a respiratory issue. Individuals displaying one or more of the following symptoms should consider making an appointment with our patient coordinator:
- A constant and severe cough lasting more than three weeks
- Bronchitis or a bad cold that impedes breathing
- Difficulty breathing, especially following non-rigorous exercise
- Dizzy or lightheaded sensation or fainting
- Inability to control asthma attacks or uncertainty of the cause of such attacks
- Pain or tightness in the chest
Through a variety of assessments, physicians can evaluate a patient’s risk and diagnose specific conditions. For respiratory healthcare, these may include a pulmonary function test (PFT) designed to check how well the lungs are working and help diagnose breathing problems. Other screenings include shape tests for patients experiencing shortness of breath (SOB). This checks the lungs and heart and distinguishes between cardiac and pulmonary causes. Sleep studies are also available to determine if a patient has obstructive sleep apnea.
Treatment for Respiratory Illnesses
Since pulmonary diseases are distinct, methods for diagnosing and treating these conditions may differ based on their level of seriousness and root cause. However, the following are some general treatment options doctors may suggest for managing respiratory ailments:
- Medication: Many pulmonary disorders are incurable, but doctors and physicians may provide medicine to help patients manage their symptoms, such as inhalers to enhance breathing.
- Lifestyle changes: Part of a treatment plan for a respiratory issue will involve modifying routine to mitigate symptoms. For instance, smoking is a significant cause of multiple pulmonary diseases, and doctors may encourage patients to quit the habit. Lifestyle changes also include being more aware of how certain allergens, odors, and environmental conditions impact symptoms.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: This therapy is designed for those with chronic respiratory problems that reduce their quality of life. It is a popular option for those with COPD. Patients learn to breathe better, obtain exercise strategies, and receive nutritional guidance in these programs.
Reach Out to a Provider from Nirvana Healthcare Management Services
With a focus on proactive medicine, Nirvana Healthcare Management Services serves patients in Essex County, NJ. Pulmonology risk assessments and prevention are among the primary offerings, helping patients throughout this network gain a clear picture of their overall health. Several locations are available in Newark and East Orange, NJ, including Salerno Medical Associates, Metropolitan Medical Group, Roseville Medical Society, North Ward Medical Arts, and Armenti Medical Group, as well as in-home services for seniors through CHOP. Contact us today to learn more about pulmonary health and wellness or to schedule an appointment.