Injections for Knee Pain
Offered in East Orange and Newark, NJ
Patients experiencing knee pain that is resistant to physical therapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and other minimally invasive therapies may be able to attain non-surgical relief with injections. Administered our by board-certified, fellowship-trained Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physician, Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn, Prospect Spine and Pain (PSP) in Newark, New Jersey provides knee injections to address a wide range of common knee conditions.
About Knee Injections
Whether they’re caused by repeated joint stress, age, injury, or something else, knee conditions, including arthritis, tendonitis, and torn or sprained ligaments, cartilage, and muscles, are known for their impact on one’s mobility and quality of life, as well as bothersome symptoms such as:
- Abnormal sensations including grinding, popping, dull burning, clicking, numbness, or weakness
- Swelling, stiffness, and/or continued achiness
- Sharp, shooting pain that may radiate throughout the leg and elsewhere
- Symptoms that worsen with physical activity or after periods of inactivity
If other non-surgical pain management treatments have been ineffective for your knee symptoms, you may be a candidate for a pain-relieving knee injection. At Prospect Spine and Pain (PSP), Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn will first correctly diagnose your symptoms to rule out other potential sources of your pain, relying on advanced medical imaging and specialized examination techniques before developing a personalized, minimally invasive treatment plan that may involve the use of knee injections.
Types of Knee Injections
Knee injections are quick, relatively painless, and can provide pain relief almost immediately, with the full results becoming evident over the coming days following the procedure. Because the knee joint is made up of the tibia (shin bone), patella (kneecap), fibula (calf bone), and femur (thigh bone), the type of knee injection you receive will depend on the location of your pain, as well as your overall health, medical history, and other factors.
At Prospect Spine and Pain (PSP), the types of knee injections we offer include the following:
- Corticosteroid injections: Also known as cortisone shots or steroid shots, these injections contain a mixture of pain- and inflammation-relieving medications and a local anesthetic, which is injected into the joint to offer temporary pain relief and enable patients to participate more comfortably in physical therapy.
- Hyaluronic viscosupplementation: Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced by the body and keeps connective tissue moist and lubricated. As such, this option, also known as hyaluronic acid injections, aims to enhance the body’s natural supply of hyaluronic acid and is most often chosen as a treatment for patients with arthritis. We offer the following types of hyaluronic viscosupplementation:
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn Now
When you or a loved one requires effective knee pain relief, turn to Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn at Prospect Spine and Pain (PSP) in Newark, NJ. Guided by her broad medical expertise, Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn treats the whole patient – not just their condition – with customized pain management treatments that do not require surgery. For more information about knee injections or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Maria Cabodevilla-Conn, contact us today.